Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day 11 - Goodbyes

During morning devotions, the kids and staff thanked us and prayed for us. Some people cried. Not me. I'm tough.

Then we all lined up outside the play room and got a hug from each kid. I felt bad for the younger ones who don't quite understand yet why people come to visit for a couple weeks then leave. The older ones understand a little better and don't get quite as attached. It was still a bittersweet time, though.

After that, we all said goodbye to the Mendonsas and Englemans and loaded up to head to Nairobi.

Another stop at Java House, then a trip to the Maasai Market.

Oh, the market. I thought I was prepared for what this market was going to be, but no. Nothing can prepare you. This was like a flea market on crack. As soon as you walk into the market, people touch you. They do the move where they shake your hand, but don't let go. Instead, they pull you over to their stall and show you their "handmade" items.

Here's what a typical exchange looked like:

"I saw you glance in my general direction. That can only mean that you want to spend all of your American money at my stall."

"No, I'm okay, thanks."

"Friend! Friend! What is your name? We are friends, no?"

"Um..."

"Have a look at my wares? They are nice?"

"They're nice."

"You want a t-shirt, no? It is beautiful. I will let it go for, ah, $100."

"No, thank you."

"Okay, okay. Because we are friends, I will give you a (looks around) special price. $85, but tell no one!"

"I've got to go."

I had that conversation a dozen times at least. At the end of the day, I only got ripped off on one purchase. Not bad.



Things I Learned at the Maasai Market

1. The actual value of the item is generally 1/10th of their initial price. Seriously.

2. Everyone lies. Everyone.

3. Don't shake anyone's hand.

4. Eyes down. EYES. DOWN.

5. Pick a price, and don't go above it.

6. When all else fails, stick with J'Layne.



TOMORROW: Final thoughts


1 comment:

  1. Boom.

    Thanks for the shout out. You did pretty good after what I like to call 'The Rescue'. Sorry you paid a million bucks for that "100% wool" blanket.

    ReplyDelete